Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Trash Can Composter

I have a big compost pile.  It is in the back corner of the yard but the hose doesn't reach it.  Therefore, it takes a very long time to break down.  So I decided to get my Dad's help ( he was visiting from Florida) to help me make a trash can compost.  He drilled some air holes in the sides of the trash can.  We read this article about a similar project.   http://organicgardening.about.com/od/compost/a/cancomposter.htm

We decided to drill smaller holes so we did not have to add the screening.  So far it is working well!  It is very easy to turn and can be placed wherever I want it.  I keep a large jar next to the sink in the kitchen.  I keep all my extra veggie scraps, egg shells and coffee grinds in it!   I add green matter to the soil daily.  This consits of  scraps, veggies, dead flowers and grass clippings.  I also add shredded (brown matter).  Cardboard, dry leaves, paper, coffee filters and grinds etc.  I need a ratio of 4:1  browns to greens.     Hopefully I will have some good compost soon!   I will let you know in about 4 weeks!
     God formed Man out of dirt from the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life. The Man came alive - a living soul!    Genesis 2:7.

No comments:

Post a Comment